Women's XV Match Report | 3rd August 2019

Easts Women's XV v Western Sydney Two Blues W 20 - 19 Campbell Aitken, Vice President ESDRUFC

It was a case of 4th time lucky for the Easts Women against Western Sydney Two Blues on Saturday. Two Blues are one of the powerhouses of womens rugby and boast a side littered with Wallaroos and Waratahs, Easts having come close but never beating them in the previous 3 meetings. Coming into the game with a bit of confidence, the Easts women were determined that history would not repeat itself. A very physical first half saw Easts take an early lead through a try by Claire Ryan which she converted herself. Two Blues came thundering back and upped the ante in the tackle and at the breakdown. Their physicality was eventually rewarded with a fine solo try just before the break, the conversion was missed and Easts went into the break leading 7 – 5. If the crowd thought the first half was physical, the second saw it go to a new level. Easts scored first through a try to skipper Clare Thompson converted by Claire Ryan, Two Blues hit back pretty much immediately with a converted try of their own (14 – 12). The play was end to end with neither side willing to give an inch. It was Two Blues who scored next with 10 minutes to go, the conversion was successful which meant Easts were behind for the first time with less than 10 minutes to go. A clean break by backrower Cassie Jordan saw the play go deep into Two Blues territory and with a try looming, Two Blues gave away a cynical penalty for not rolling away. With the clock ticking down Easts chose to kick the goal which Claire Ryan duly did (17 – 19) with 4 minutes remaining. The trusty boot of Claire Ryan took the play back into the Two Blues half, several frantic phases later, Easts were awarded another penalty deep into Two Blues half. Captain Clare Thompson had no hesitation in handing the ball to Claire Ryan and pointed to the sticks – Ryan didn't disappoint the vocal crowd to kick the goal and put Easts back in front (20 – 19) with 90 seconds on the clock. Easts took the kick off but turned over the ball almost immediately, backs to the wall and determined defence saw Two Blues attack repelled time and time again, finally a maul was held up and the referee blew for full time. A just reward for an amazing team effort. Next weekend, Easts women take on last years grand finalists Warringah at Andrew Petrie Oval. Kick off Saturday 10th August at 4.45pm. WOM Sydney Corcoran.

SG_Brand Block_1 L_Display_LIGHT-BKGD-UK
Victor Sports
Societe Generale