Hindmarsh Easts Memorable Moments from Past Beasties

Lawrie Fahy 1980

"Easts Rugby Club was demoted to Second Division at the end of 1980 along with Eastwood. As the First Grade Coach had resigned I applied for the position. My Headmaster at Sydney Grammar, Alastair Mackerras granted me leave to take up the post and I was free to map out a plan for recovery."  "Gordon Williamson was secretary manager of Easts when I moved to grade in 1963. He was efficient, strict, and could appear grumpy to a smart arsed 20 year old and like many of the club members had served in the War." "By 1982 Easts and Eastwood were back in First Division. The recovery was far from complete. Our Colts in 1981 struggled to field two teams and our Grade depth was restricted to four teams. As 1st Grade Coach I had to fill in as prop for the 4th grade at Port Hacking." "At the commencement of the 1983 season we were hit by a number of retirements including captain Geoff Richards, a major loss. I trained with George Daldry at City Tatts  in those days and he offered to run the preseason with the aid of five of his lieutenants in 1983. The offer was gratefully accepted." "George's first session at Easts was a great success and after the players retired to the showers George and I had a chat on the oval. He looked over my shoulder and was visibly moved. George rarely displayed much emotion."     "Lawrie, is that Gordon Williamson?"     "Yes it is"     "That man is a saint" he said. "It turned out when George was 18 when he was captured by the Japanese, having seen his older brother machine gunned on the Causeway in Singapore. Along with several other young men George was mentored by the older Gordon (then going on 28) for the duration of the war." "Gordon Williamson never spoke of the war. That he survived Changi was remarkable. Even more remarkable was the fact that he ensured a number of younger men, including George Daldry, survived as well." Lawrie Fahy

SG_Brand Block_1 L_Display_LIGHT-BKGD-UK
Victor Sports
Societe Generale