Grade Report v Randwick

Its hard to win a game with 40% possession and it is impossible to win when you spend 80% of the game in your own end of the field. These are stark realities we need to address from our local Derby at Coogee on Saturday.


The day promised a lot with perfect conditions and a strong start with ball in hand indicated that we were in the right frame of mind to play but after multiple phases of attack that saw the Randwick defensive line under pressure, a split pass under no pressure saw us cough up possession. Randwick entered our 22m on the back of some continued attack and tactical kicking and that is where we seemed to spend the next fifteen minutes, defending our line.


Defense has been our constant throughout the first five rounds and given the amount of ball Randwick had in great attacking areas, the Beasties were galant in continuing to repel the onslaught. Unfortunately, when given opportunities to get out of our end of the field, further handling errors, ineffective kicking and scrum pressure made that difficult. Whilst Randwick continued the assault, we managed to earn a penalty and with only our second decent attacking opportunity in 20 minutes, we earnt a penalty and having had little ball or field position, Tom Pincus kicked us out to a 3-0 lead. We returned the kick well and play settled a little with both teams looking to attack but just when we had created some positive attacking phases, a turnover saw Randwick moved the ball quickly down the short side and we could not recover defensively with Randwick scoring the opening try.


We were at this stage down to 14 men having lost Mack Mason to the sin bin and it was vital not to leak more points at this time. The boys continued to defend well and whilst our inability to Exit was still costing us dearly, our defense was saving us and remarkably, having had 40% possession and 30% field position, the 3-5 half time scoreline suggested that if we got things right in the second half, Randwick would suddenly be under all the pressure.


Alas, we began the second half well but another crucial turnover then led to a penalty, line out and ultimately a well worked try for Randwick. We managed to bounce back not long after with another penalty and with less than 20 minutes remaining, a 6-12 deficit meant that the game was there for either team. Once again however, it was our ineffective cleanout when hard on attack that saw Randwick turn defence into attack and a few minutes later, we paid for not executing well enough with another try to Randwick from a set play and a 6-19 deficit.


With over ten minutes to go, we needed to score next and whilst the video shows Joe Pincus did score after toeing a loose ball through, the officials saw it otherwise and whilst we had a few more chances to got within striking distance of the lead, we had left that run too late and when Randwick scored a 4th try in the dying minutes, it ended a game that promised but…


Norths next week. Doesn’t get an better than playing the undefeated and defending premiers at their place. We have been there in every game thus far but need to embrace what it takes to WIN! Higher standards on performance and minimizing errors.






Third grade travelled to Coogee last Saturday looking to at atone a  heavy defeat the previous week.

It wasn’t long before Rhys Corbishly made a nice break and following good support play from Tom Mahoney ,who found George Mallat and then onto Rory Mcgahan for a really good team try.
Liam Corbishly converted and Easts led 7 nil.
The game went through a settling period after that, until George Mallat had the crowd on it’s feet as he weaved his way through the Randwick side to score from nearly halfway. Easts 12-0 after 20 minutes.
In the remaining 15 minutes of the first half , Easts conceded three tries, all from kicks inside our 22, that didn’t find touch and we went  to halftime down 19-12.
The second half started well and it was only two minutes into the second half when Matt Hooper made his presence felt as he crossed over for a try, 19 -17 behind.
Fifteen minutes later,Tom Mahoney scored and with a conversion from Rory Mcgahan, easts led 24 -19.
With 12 minutes to go, poor marking up in defence allowed  Randwick to score a soft try, through an extra man and on fulltime Randwick scored  again when a they crossed in the corner following a blind side raid from a screwed scrum.
The conversion from the sideline reduced our bonus points from the game from two to one.
We scored the first two tries in both halves, only to lose the match 33-24.
Thirds played some really good football, but until they eliminate some schoolboy errors from their game, they will  find it hard to end up on the right side of the scoreboard.



Categories: Results
Posted on Thursday, 4 May 2017


Powered by SportsTG